Breaking News

Suspects in court for murder of Prince Lethukuthula Zulu

 Five people are set to make an appearance before the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 23 November 2020, for the killing of Prince Lethukuthula Zulu.

Zulu, the son of King Goodwill Zwelithini, was found dead at his residence in Northwold, Johannesburg earlier in October. He was age 50.

The South African Police Service (SAPS) in Gauteng said the suspects, four women and one man, were arrested on Friday, 20 November 2020. One of them was allegedly found in possession of illegal substances.

“This comes as a result of meticulous investigation and hard work by the provincial investigating team who, since the reporting of the incident at Honeydew SAPS about two weeks ago, were able to piece together bits and pieces of information that saw the initial inquest docket being changed to a murder case,” said SAPS spokesperson Mathapelo Peters.

An undisclosed amount of money as well as other valuable items were also stolen from his home.

The suspects are facing charges of murder and theft. Prince Lethukuthula was next in line to the Zulu throne.



“Critical evidence that could easily have been overlooked was effectively lifted from the crime scene by the SAPS forensic science experts. The processed evidence assisted the investigating team in establishing a possible linkage of the suspects to the crime,” Peters further said.

STILL UNCLEAR HOW ZULU ROYAL DIED

Police are yet to reveal how the royal was actually killed but said they were trying to uncover more evidence towards building a solid case in court. Authorities also said there was the possibility of the prince and his business partner having been drugged in the commission of the crime.

In the wake of his death, the royal family’s spokesperson Prince Thulani Zulu said they were in shock over his passing.

“We are in a state of overwhelming shock at this incident…even know we don’t know what happened. Though we suspect some criminal elements, as it is now police are still investigating,” he said in an interview with eNCA.

The royal Zulu family bid farewell to him during a private funeral service.

“His Majesty has expressed sincere appreciation for the outpouring of sympathy following Prince Lethukuthula’s sudden passing last week. He acknowledges the extent to which the royal family and the Zulu nation are feeling the pain of this loss,” said Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi on behalf of the family.

Source

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/suspects-in-court-for-murder-of-prince-lethukuthula-zulu/

No comments